There are “accommodations” and there is “hospitality” … and there is a HUGE difference. We have a “hospitality industry” that doesn’t actually offer hospitality: it only offers accommodations.
How do you entertain guests in your home? We’re guessing you probably do it the same way we do.
1. First of all, we invite them to visit.
2. Then we go into high gear. We clean the house, plan the menu, purchase and prepare the food, and set the table.
3. When our guests arrive at the door, we greet them with real warmth, affection and excitement. After all, we’ve been looking forward to their visit.
4. Once we get them in the door, we feed them, talk with them, laugh with them, and introduce them to everyone else we have invited.
5. As good hosts, we do absolutely everything we can to ensure that they are having a good time … that they have enjoyed themselves, and that they have met and enjoyed the other guests.
We have always entertained guests as if we were entertaining old friends in our own home. It’s actually the only way we know how to do it. You are NOT merely an economic opportunity to us: we are NOT trying to maximize your tab. You are a guest … and by the time you leave … we hope you are a friend.
Here’s how we do things at the Embassy Circle Guest House and the Woodley Park Guest House.
1. We INVITE you to stay with us. We WANT you to come.
2. We are looking forward to seeing you … whether it’s your first visit, or your twentieth. We are expecting you. We are excited that you are coming. We will greet you with real warmth. There are NO “corporate” smiles here!
3. We have cleaned the house, fluffed the pillows and filled the fridge. We have fresh flowers, delicious brownies, and great books to read. We are READY for your arrival.
4. When you arrive, we will learn your name … and we will remember your name. After all, you are NOT a transaction. YOU are a very special person. You are an invited guest.
5. We will feed you; provide a safe, elegant and comfortable place for you to relax and get a great night’s sleep; and we will offer insights and suggestions to ensure that you get maximum enjoyment from your visit to Washington DC.
6. We have a house full of interesting people for you to meet, and we will introduce you … BY NAME … to our other guests.
7. We will sit around the breakfast table and talk with you and laugh with you. We will tell stories and listen to stories, we will swap travel tips and experiences … until everyone reluctantly agrees that they need to get out of the house and on with the day.
8. We will answer all of your questions. Need to know how to get around Washington DC? What to see? Where to eat? What to do in the evenings? We are more than happy to help!
9. We will help you solve any problem that arises. Yes, we sometimes have to help you find a lost credit card, buy some new clothes when your luggage doesn’t arrive, find a doctor in an emergency, or extend your stay when your flight is cancelled. Whatever you need, it’s no problem. We’re here to help.
Great hospitality is a rare commodity – and it’s an experience you never forget! It’s welcoming, generous, PERSONAL and fun. It’s what we offer. It’s what you expect from friends … and it leaves you wanting to come back again and again.